If there is a place that resembles what we believe the moon might look like? A region with volcanoes, hot springs, geysers, deserts and mountains often described as the Salvador Dali Desert with its surreal landscapes. This is the Eduardo Abaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve and Southwestern Altiplano of Bolivia. Home to eighty species of birds, ten reptiles and three of the six flamingo species in the world. We start in the high desert town of San Pedro de Atacama in Chile at 2400m then begin the Lagunas to Uyuni de Salar route in Bolivia at 4000m where we explore and camp under the giant expansive sky in this unique and incredible landscape. The terrain of this MTB / Gravel Bike expedition tour will challenge you, the elements will test you and finally lead to a place that defies description, the Salar de Uyuni the Largest Salt Lake in the world.
Lagunas to Salar de Uyuni MTB/ Gravel Bike Expedition Tour:
– Days: 14 Days/13 Nights
– Starts/Ends: San Pedro de Atacama/Uyuni
– Fitness Level: Beginner*/Intermediate (you currently ride or can ride 150k/200k a week with ease)
– Group Size: 4 to 6* rider minimum, 12 rider maximum.
– Price: $2800 (USD/EUR/NZD/AUD/CAD) $200 Per Day – $2154 (GBP) $153 GBP Per Day (everything included)
10 % Discount for Group Registrations 4+ Riders. On the Booking form tell us your Group names.
Different Currency Prices explained: Resident Currency Pricing (RCP)
Pay for this tour in the country currency and economy you live and work within. We think its fair that way. We have 6 currencies (USD/EUR/NZD/AUD/CAD/GBP). If you live in North America (USA or Canada) Great Britain, Europe or the South Pacific (New Zealand or Australia) you will pay in the currency where you live. All other residents of other countries will pay the USD price. *The Tour minimum is 4 riders if bookings paid in (USD/EUR/GBP) currency and 6 riders minimum if bookings paid in (NZD/AUD/CAD) currency. If we get a mix of both that’s ok the tour will be confirmed.
October 18th – 31st – Close off Date August 23rd:
November 8th – 21st – Close off Date September 13th:
Sign up for this tour with a $500 NZD deposit
Private Tour Date options:
Get a group of 4 or more riders together and we will organize a private tour for you. To start the conversation contact us
What is a MTB / Gravel Expedition tour?
Because of the cycling expedition nature of this tour, you don’t necessarily have to be a hardcore MTB rider to do this trip (road riders are invited). You just have to ride a Mountain bike or Gravel Bike.
Bring your own MTB / Gravel Bike with Wide Tyres:
Tyres in an word wide. Plus size tyres rule in this terrain, so go as wide as possible with your tyres. Minimum (2.25) to 2.8 wide is suggested for 29, 27.5, or 26.size wheels for MTBs. Hard Tail or Full suspension bikes, the key is bigger than normal Tyres will make the riding here way more fun and easier. Gravel bikes are a bit more limited but all is possible with up to 45mm or wider.
Hire a bike: If you cannot bring your bike (or dont currenty have one). Contact us if you want to hire a MTB for the tour, Hiring options in San Pedro have changed in recent months but there is a possibility that we can source some bikes. We will do our best for you to make it happen.
- We start in Northern Chile and finish in Southern Bolivia
- Visiting the largest geyser field in the southern hemisphere
- Soaking in high desert hot springs
- Camping beside high altitude lakes with flamingos and llamas
- 506k for 11 Days, Riding 9 days in the Southern Bolivia High Altiplano
- Staying in a luxury Salt Hotel
- Riding and camping on the worlds largest salt plain, Salar De Uyuni
- Making a difference. A percentage of all Tour proceeds goes back to the local communities we visit. We invite you to change other peoples lives while experiencing a trip of a lifetime.
Tour Description and Itinerary:
This Tour is a very high altitude (4000m average) Expedition trip with lots of dirt roads in unbelievable landscapes. Its a point to point trip. We start in the high desert town of San Pedro de Atacama in Chile (2400m). To help you acclimate we spend the first 4 days here with some sight seeing and a few short rides. Accommodation our first 4 nights is in a hotel in San Pedro de Atacama Chile. Then in Bolivia we are camping for 6 nights and 2 nights in amazing Salt hotels along the way, with the final night in a hotel in Uyuni. We are supported by a 4WD vehicle with the camping equipment (tents, mattresses, and sleeping bags rated to -15) as well as cooking equipment, food and water. We are also carrying oxygen, first aid supplies and a satellite phone.
>Expand Full Itinerary
>Collapse Full Itinerary
Return to Chile:
If you wish to return to San Pedro de Atacama (Chile) after the finish of this tour in Uyuni, we offer a service in 4×4 jeeps and bus from the Bolivia/Chile border to get you back to Chile ($80 USD)
Onward journeys: Staying in Bolivia, Chile or South America?
We are happy to help and can advise you on all possible activities and destinations you want to visit..
- All Transportation and Airport transfers
- Professional Local Bolivian guides
- Technical support: Unpacking/packing bike plus bike assembly/disassembly
- 4WD support vehicles (with Oxygen and Satellite mobile communications)
- Accommodations at Hotels for 7 nights (Accommodations twin shared)
- All Camping equipment (Tents, Sleeping bags (rated -15), sleeping mattresses)
- Food and Water
- Meals ( 13 Breakfasts, 9 Lunches, 11 Dinners)
- Advanced Oxygen Enhancing Nutritional Supplements and Drinks ($100 USD value)
- Healthy snacks and hydration during the rides
- Cycling training program and advice by ex Professional rider and Cycling Coach ($600 USD value)
- Body/Bike fit check and instruction on Tour ($200 USD value)
- Beyond Andes cycling jersey
- Farewell Dinner Party at Uyuni
- Pukará de Quitor/entrance fees
- Puritama Hot springs/entrance fees
- Valle de Luna/entrance fees
- Laguna Cejar/entrance fees
- El Tatio Geysers/entrance fees
- Flights (International and domestic)
- Insurance – Travel, Personal and Equipment
- Eduardo Abaroa National Park fees (150bs) $22 USD
- Hotel charges such as mini bar and phone
- Alcoholic/ non-alcoholic beverages
- Any other items not listed as included
Booking and other important Info:
- The close off date to book this Tour is Oct Tour (August 23rd) Nov Tour (Sept 13th).
- Bookings are open. To book this Tour please click through to fill out the Booking Form and submit.
- Once you have submitted the form you will be redirected to pay your $500 NZD tour deposit (+ $30.25 active processing fee) by Credit Card with our secure payment system using Active Network Endurance.
- Your reservation of a place in your chosen Tour will be confirmed by email along with other detailed information once we have received your deposit.
- The Deposit is Fully Refundable (less any Transaction fees) if the Tour minimum bookings are not reached by the Close Off Date or the Tour is canceled or postponed due to issues related to Covid 19 and travel restrictions. We will refund your deposit within 3 weeks following the close off date.
- We have a minimum of 4 to 6 riders to Guarantee this tour. Please Do Not Book your Plane Tickets until you have received notification from us that we have Guaranteed this tour.
- If you cancel your booking the Tour deposit is not refundable. It is however transferable and maybe applied to other later date tours (with the payment of a $300 NZD re – booking fee).
- This Tour is for beginner/Intermediate fitness riders only, NOT for recreational cyclists. We define Beginner* riders as regularly riding 100k a week. You have a MTB (and/or road bike and you ride it regularly) All riders are requested and expected to follow the training program to prepare for this tour. We want you to come on this tour prepared so you will enjoy it more.
- Insurance. You are required as a condition of booking to be insured against medical and personal accident risks. We recommend that you take out a policy once you have received confirmation that the tour is Guaranteed, which covers trip cancellation, your bike, baggage and equipment.
- Flight Information. We will email you flight information and recommended bike and equipment set up details.
- Full tour payment is due 1 Month before the tour starts.
Photo credits: Antonio Juan M. Slider Photo Credits: Antonio Juan M and professional photographer (and friend) Jan Zammit