If there is a place that resembles what we believe the moon might look like? A region with volcanoes, hot springs, geysers, deserts and mountains often described as the Salvador Dali Desert with its surreal landscapes. This is the Eduardo Abaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve and Southwestern Altiplano of Bolivia. Home to eighty species of birds, ten reptiles and three of the six flamingo species in the world. We start in the high desert town of San Pedro de Atacama in Chile 2400m then begin the Lagunas to Uyuni de Salar route in Bolivia at 4000m where we explore and camp under the giant expansive sky in this unique and incredible landscape. The terrain of this MTB expedition tour will challenge you, the elements will test you and finally lead to a place that defies description, the Salar de Uyuni the Largest Salt Lake in the world.
Lagunas to Salar de Uyuni MTB Expedition Tour:
– Days: 14 Days/13 Nights
– Starts/Ends: San Pedro de Atacama/Uyuni
– Fitness Level: Beginner*/Intermediate (you currently ride or can ride 150k/200k a week with ease)
– Group Size: 4 to 6* rider minimum, 12 rider maximum.
– Price: $2800 (USD/EUR/NZD/AUD/CAD) $200 Per Day – $2154 (GBP) $153 GBP Per Day (everything included)
10 % Discount for Group Registrations 4+ Riders. On the Booking form tell us your Group names.
Prices explained: Resident Currency Pricing (RCP)
Pay for this tour in the country currency and economy you live and work within. We think its fair that way. We have 6 currencies (USD/EUR/NZD/AUD/CAD/GBP). If you live in North America (USA or Canada) Great Britain, Europe or the South Pacific (New Zealand or Australia) you will pay in the currency where you live. All other residents of other countries will pay the USD price. *The Tour minimum is 4 riders if bookings paid in (USD/EUR/GBP) currency and 6 riders minimum if bookings paid in (NZD/AUD/CAD) currency. If we get a mix of both that’s ok the tour will be confirmed.
2020 Dates: (3 Tours to choose from)
May 3rd – 16th
Close off Date: Sign up for this tour with a $500 NZD deposit before March 8th
October 12th – 25th
November 2nd – 16th
Private Tour Date options:
Get a group of 4 or more riders together and we will organize a private tour for you. To start the conversation contact us
What is a MTB Expedition tour?
Because of the cycling expedition nature of this tour, you don’t necessarily have to be a hardcore MTB rider to do this trip (road riders are invited). You just have to ride a Mountain bike.
Bring your own MTB bike with wide Tyres:
Tyres in an word wide. Fat Tyres and Fat bikes rule in this terrain, but if you don’t have a Fat Bike go as wide as possible with your tyres. Minimum 2.25 to 2.4 wide is suggested for 29+ 27.5+ or 26+.size wheels. Hard Tail or Full suspension bikes, the key is bigger than normal Tyres will make the riding here way more fun and easier. A gravel bike would be ok also if you can get big wide enough Tyres on it.
Note: If you cannot bring your bike (or dont currenty have one). Contact us if you want to hire a MTB, Hiring options in San Pedro have changed in recent months but there is a possibility that we can source some bikes. We will do our best for you to make it happen.
- We start in Northern Chile and finish in Southern Bolivia
- Visiting the largest geyser field in the southern hemisphere
- Soaking in high desert hot springs
- Camping beside high altitude lakes with flamingos and llamas
- 506k for 11 Days, Riding 9 days in the Southern Bolivia High Altiplano
- Staying in a luxury Salt Hotel
- Riding and camping on the worlds largest salt plain, Salar De Uyuni
- Making a difference. A percentage of all Tour proceeds goes back to the local communities we visit. We invite you to change other peoples lives while experiencing a trip of a lifetime.
Tour Description and Itinerary:
This Tour is a very high altitude (4000m average) MTB Expedition trip with lots of dirt roads in unbelievable landscapes. Its a point to point trip. We start in the high desert town of San Pedro de Atacama in Chile (2400m). To help you acclimate we spend the first 4 days here with some sight seeing and a few short rides. Accommodation our first 4 nights is in a hotel in San Pedro de Atacama Chile. Then in Bolivia we are camping for 6 nights and 2 nights in amazing Salt hotels along the way, with the final night in a hotel in Uyuni. We are supported by a 4WD vehicle with the camping equipment (tents, mattresses, and sleeping bags rated to -15) as well as cooking equipment, food and water. We are also carrying oxygen, first aid supplies and a satellite phone.
Day 1: – Pick you up from Calama airport (Northern Chile)
Check into the Hotel. Welcome meeting and tour introduction with our guides, build our bikes and relax.
Day 2: – Acclimation day/Ride 30k warm up ride (2hrs approx)
Some sight seeing and walking around this ancient desert town. In the afternoon we ride the Diablo Canyon ride and on the way visit the Pukará de Quitor (12 century per colombian archeological site). Later we go to Puritama Hot springs.
Day 3: – Acclimation day/Ride 50k warm up ride (3hrs approx)
In the morning we ride to the amazing Valle de luna (Valley of the Moon). In the afternoon we take a trip to the Laguna Cejar salt lakes,
Day 4: – Acclimation day/Geyser Trip
Today is an incredible sight seeing day. We start early at 4am to take a bus to the El Tatio Geysers (4320m). We return at around 2pm to rest and make final preparations for the tour.
Day 5: – 52k (3.5hrs approx)
First day on the Lagunas route. We ride sandy dirt roads this first day to a Hot springs .Camping here tonight.
Day 6: – 47k (4hrs approx)
Hot springs to a Colorado. We climb to touch the highest altitude on the trip today at 4900m and then descend to 4300m. Camping tonight.
Day 7: – 41k (3.5hrs approx)
Colorado to Capina. We climb to a plateau at 4400m to camp at Laguna Capina tonight.
Day 8: – 32k (3.5hrs approx)
Capina to Malku region. No camping tonight we drop down to 4000m and stay in a Luxury Salt Hotel.
Day 9: – 33k (3.5hrs approx)
Mallku to Negra (for lunch) then onto Canyon de Anaconda where we are camping tonight.
Day 10: – 38k to 45k (4hrs approx)
Canyon de Anaconda then onto to San Augustin. Camping at San Augustin or onto Uchisa tonight.
Day 11: – 56k (5.5hrs approx) 50k
San Augustin to Juliaca then onto to a Salt hotel on the edge of the Salar de Uyuni.
Day 12: – 60k approx (4hrs approx)
We leave early for sunrise from Villa Martin to the get on to the Salar where we ride a world of white until make camp near Isla Wasu island. We spend the day playing and the night camping under a million stars.
Day 13: – 60k (4hrs approx)
From our campsite outside Isla Wasu island on the Salar de Uyuni we ride to the town of Uyuni. We stay in a Hotel in Uyuni tonight and have a Farewell Dinner Party.
Day 14: – Tour ends
Transfer to Airport or other transport.
Return to Chile:
If you wish to return to San Pedro de Atacama (Chile) after the finish of this tour in Uyuni, we offer a service in 4×4 jeeps and bus from the Bolivia/Chile border to get you back to Chile ($80 USD)
Onward journeys: Staying in Bolivia, Chile or South America?
We are happy to help and can advise you on all possible activities and destinations you want to visit..
- All Transportation and Airport transfers
- Professional Local Bolivian guides
- Technical support: Unpacking/packing bike plus bike assembly/disassembly
- 4WD support vehicles (with Oxygen and Satellite mobile communications)
- Accommodations at Hotels for 7 nights (Accommodations twin shared)
- All Camping equipment (Tents, Sleeping bags (rated -15), sleeping mattresses)
- Food and Water
- Meals ( 13 Breakfasts, 9 Lunches, 11 Dinners)
- Advanced Oxygen Enhancing Nutritional Supplements and Drinks ($100 USD value)
- Healthy snacks and hydration during the rides
- Cycling training program and advice by ex Professional rider and Cycling Coach ($600 USD value)
- Body/Bike fit check and instruction on Tour ($200 USD value)
- Beyond Andes cycling jersey
- Farewell Dinner Party at Uyuni
- Pukará de Quitor/entrance fees
- Puritama Hot springs/entrance fees
- Valle de Luna/entrance fees
- Laguna Cejar/entrance fees
- El Tatio Geysers/entrance fees
- Flights (International and domestic)
- Insurance – Travel, Personal and Equipment
- Eduardo Abaroa National Park fees (150bs) $22 USD
- Hotel charges such as mini bar and phone
- Alcoholic/ non-alcoholic beverages
- Any other items not listed as included
Booking and other important Info:
- The close off date to book this Tour (May 3rd – 16th) with a deposit is March 8th.
- To book this Tour please click through to fill out the Booking Form and submit. This is an email booking, we will reply to you with information on how you can make payment of the deposit and confirm your booking (using either Paypal. Direct Credit or Credit card)
- A $500 NZD deposit is due within 10 days of you receiving the booking/payment information from us.
- The Deposit is Fully Refundable (less any Transaction fees) if the Tour minimum bookings are not reached by the close off date. We will refund your deposit within 3 weeks following the close off date.
- We have a minimum of 4 to 6 riders to Guarantee this tour. Please Do Not Book your Plane Tickets until you have received notification from us that we have Guaranteed this tour.
- If you cancel your booking the Tour deposit is not refundable. It is however transferable and maybe applied to other later date tours.
- This Tour is for beginner/Intermediate fitness riders only, NOT for recreational cyclists. We define Beginner* riders as regularly riding 100k a week. You have a MTB (and/or road bike and you ride it regularly) All riders are requested and expected to follow the training program to prepare for this tour. We want you to come on this tour prepared so you will enjoy it more. You must be able to easily ride multiple back to back 150k weeks before you get to Chile/Bolivia.
- Insurance. You are required as a condition of booking to be insured against medical and personal accident risks. We recommend that you take out a policy once you have received confirmation that the tour is Guaranteed, which covers trip cancellation, your bike, baggage and equipment.
- Flight Information. We will email you flight information and recommended bike and equipment set up details.
- Full tour payment is due 1 Month before the tour on April 5th, 2020.
Photo credits: Antonio Juan M. Slider Photo Credits: Antonio Juan M and professional photographer (and friend) Jan Zammit